Wednesday, May 6, 2009

A Vow and A Curse

Have you ever read something over and over and over again, yet you missed a part (sometimes a significant part) of what was written? I was making breakfast, serving it, eating it, and listening to Adventures in Odyssey with my son this morning. We were listening to the story of Ruth. I have heard and read the story of Ruth numerous times in my life. And I have always remembered Ruth's undying devotion to her mother-law in her admirable declaration:

Entreat me not to leave you,
Or to turn back from following after you;
For wherever you go, I will go;
And wherever you lodge, I will lodge;
Your people shall be my people,
And your God, my God.
Where you die,
I will die,
And there will I be buried.
The Lord do so to me, and more
also,
If anything but death parts you and me.
-Ruth 16:18

In all my years reading these verses, I cannot recall ever being moved by the last sentence. I prefer it in the New Living Translation: "May the Lord punish me severely if I allow anything but death to separate us!"

I have heard those verses used in wedding ceremonies before, and in my opinion, I believe they are used appropriately there. I do not, however, recall that last verse being spoken. Frankly, I think that verse would be instrumental, if truthfully proclaimed in such a ceremony, in holding us accountable to our vows. In essence, the person is declaring a curse upon her/himself if s/he allows something or someone to break this vow or covenant or promise - call it what you want. I imagine myself saying it in front of my family and friends, and I guarantee you that in the midst of the challenges of marriage, I would certainly recall my vow.

Our words are precious. They have the power of life and death, in a sense (Proverbs 18:21). As a follower of Christ, our words should not only be truthful but trusted. Jesus encouraged us in the Sermon on the Mount to "let your 'Yes' be 'Yes.' and your 'No,' 'No.'" (Matthew 5:37).

I realize, my friend, that there is so much brokenness in the world today. People change from one day to the next - it is a fact of life. The person you married long ago may be so different than the person you're existing with today. May I encourage you that NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE WITH GOD. Stay the course, dear sister or brother. Walk with the Lord in faithfulness - with faith and obedience. Be broken and contrite before Him. Commune with Him continually. Complain to Him alone about your circumstances, your spouse, your life. Pray the Word of the Living God - there is power in God's Word. AND IN ALL THINGS, GIVE THANKS. This is the will of God for you. Focus on it rather than your circumstances. And do this all for the glory of God.

May God bless you richly as you journey with Him.

2 comments:

Cheryl said...

Very wise words, my friend. . .thank you for the encouragement today. :) Love your blog. . . keep writing!

Mrs. Waldher said...

please continue to blog!! I found much encouragment in your words and also felt much sharpening in my spirit!!! Thank you!!!