Thursday, May 14, 2009

American Idol and God

I know - it sounds rather oxymoronic - American Idol and God. I'll admit, I've been sucked into the show over the past two years. Perhaps it's the fact that I am a musician. I'm not quite sure, but I have enjoyed watching the show. For me, it's seeing these no-named people get recognized for their God-given talent. Probably most would not have had a chance to get their music out to a broader audience if it weren't for the show.

I have heard that this season has had at least two believers. I certainly can't verify if their faith is vibrant and active, but Wikipedia (believe it or not) confirmed some of my suspicions. And frankly, have seen evidence of their faith, especially as they have interacted with the judges. Not too long ago, Simon criticized Kris for being humble - wow, what a compliment. Simon proclaimed that in the entertainment business you have to be self-absorbed and cocky. Simon also commented a few months back that Kris shouldn't have admitted that he was married until America committed to him. Kris responded shockingly, "But she's my wife!" Nevertheless, in my observation, Kris has a humble spirit about him, and I'm happy for him that he has made it to the finish. I do hope that he, and Danny for that matter, continue on in this life, remaining humble regardless of worldly success, keep committed to the Lord, and continue serving God and others.

As I was reflecting on the show that aired last night placing Kris and Adam in the finals, I found myself praying that Kris would be a light to such people as Paula, Kara, Randy, and even Simon - that somehow, these people, who seem so lost, would find Jesus Christ, the only true peace and hope.

My reflections then carried me to a thought: I wonder if someone like Paula Abdul would ever, if drawn to Christ, be able to leave her life and all that she has built for herself in order to follow Him. Have we contributed in keeping her, and perhaps other "American idols" from making such a life change, by putting them on a pedestal, making it near impossible for them to turn? I do believe that when God draws someone, His love, mercy, and grace are irresistible. Yet I also know that when someone is entrenched in a lifestyle, it makes it all the more difficult to walk away from it all. Yet I believe that NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE WITH GOD. Consider the virigin birth of God in human flesh. What about the conversion of Saul - the infamous Christian persecutor? Jonah in the belly of a whale for three days, and he survives? Parting the Red Sea long enough for the Israelites to cross, then the waters come crashing down on the pursuing Egyptians? The resurrection of Jesus from the dead? These all seem impossible, yet they are true accounts of things that God has done. Can He save someone like Paula Abdul or Simon Cowell? If he can save you and me, surely He can save these precious lives as well. Pray for them.

Is there someone in your life that doesn't know Jesus Christ personally? Don't give up, my friend. Keep praying for the scales to fall from their eyes, for their hearts of stone to be softened, for their ears to be open to hear the Truth. For NOTHING is impossible with God. NOTHING!

Grace and peace to you.

No comments: