Friday, December 19, 2008

Bidding Farewell

December 18, 2008

Dearest Grandpa,

This morning, as I was driving home from the gym, I was admiring the beautiful sky. The sun was in the initial stages of rising, gently and slowly lighting the sky. The pink puffy clouds stood still, hung there with magnificence. The view of it all was beautiful. Such a different picture than the day before – the day when I got the phone call that my beautiful, precious grandmother had passed from this life and into the next. December 17, 2008 was a dreary and gloomy day, and seemed to perfectly capture my feelings in knowing that Grandma was indeed gone.

Sometimes I think God speaks to me in pictures as these – the simple things in life. I felt His presence “crying” with me yesterday, in a sense, as the gray clouds permeated the sky and tear-like raindrops trickled down. God too has known the pain of loss in the death of his Son. And then today, this glorious picture in the sky of beauty, and I just can’t help but think of Grandma in heaven. She is free. Free from all the pain, suffering, and disease of this life. She is free. What a glorious thought to know that her battle with Alzheimer’s has ended, and she is no longer bound by its ugly effects.

Oh, Grandpa, I know this must be terribly difficult for you. I’m sure you feel completely undone in losing the love of your life. And I’m sure it is just as difficult – terribly difficult – as the days you watched her physical body deteriorate with the progression of Alzheimer’s. The pain that she is here no longer must be unbearable. You loved her amazingly well, Grandpa, all the way to the end. It brought me to tears to hear that you spent her last night on earth with her in the nursing home – that must have been the hardest day of your life, yet what a beautiful picture of faithfulness and love. I just hope that you can continually cling to the memories of the best days with Grandma, among them being the day you took her as your bride. That surely must have been the best day of your life. I wish I could have been there. Your commitment to her on that day has been a true testimony to the world as you have lived it out. You have loved her well, as you vowed, through the ups and downs of life. I will always cherish this, Grandpa. Thank you for your legacy and example.

Grandpa – may the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face shine on you and be gracious unto you. The Lord lift His countenance upon you and give you peace.

I love you dearly … always.

No comments: