Saturday, May 23, 2009

Today we took a drive through Wapakoneta, Ohio. Wapak, as it is fondly called by the locals, is mostly known as the birthplace and home of Neil Armstrong, one of the first astronauts to walk on the moon. I have known it all my life as the home of my dear grandparents. My mom was born and raised in this area, and my grandparents have lived here all their lives. It's a special place. As we were driving through town, I was admiring the large, old homes with minivans and toys parked in driveways and yards. There were lots of sidewalks on which to walk or ride bikes. I had a peaceful feeling just soaking it all in. I just couldn't help but think how spread out we've become in this world. As much as I wanted out of this area (we lived not far from Wapak our first year of marriage), I can't help wondering, at times, if we should have stayed. Was it merely a selfish decision to move away - just to be in a larger, more progressive area of the country; a place to "start over" and establish this new family (recent newlyweds) rather than two individuals? My brothers had already relocated to NC prior to our moving there. And eventually, my parents followed, leaving their home near Wapak as well.

Today it will be sad to say farewell to this place - we will bury my grandparents, have a final gathering at the church our family attended, and possibly drive by my grandparents' farm one final time. We may never come back - not much reason to now that my grandparents are gone. So driving through town brought me back to how sad it is that families are so spread out.

Yet at the same time, I see The Church all over the world, and we are a part of that. We have a local body of believers with whom we are family, and despite our distance from my family (we are all over NC actually), this other family fills in the gaps. It's not altogether the same, but the LORD has provided this and I am grateful.

If you are not part of a local body of believers, I hope you will find your family soon. Pray that God would lead you and provide that for you. And if you are, well, be thankful. This is another great blessing from the LORD.

Grace and peace to you.

No comments: