Sunday, May 31, 2009

The Church United

I just returned from a church music conference held at a very large and prominent church in Raleigh. I've been to this church several times because of my ties there with a family member who is on staff. We are a part of different denominations, and I have my differences with them on some doctrinal issues. So honestly, I didn't know what to expect. I was fairly confident that the issues that might be divisive would not be brought to the table, although music itself can certainly cause division. I had no idea that God would do the kind of work that He did on my heart.

Even after a few short hours of being at this conference, I realized that this church was sacrificing - giving of their time, talent, resources to encourage the Church. It was not about them nor their denomination, but equipping those of us who are worship leaders in the Church to lead for the glory of Christ and the encouragement of the saints. I was humbled - so humbled and convicted that I confessed to this family member my judgmental heart towards him and his church and sought forgiveness.

God showed me in a real way what Paul was talking about in Colossians 3:11. "... there is neither Greek nor Jew, circumcised or uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave nor free, but Christ is all and in all." Paul also spoke to this in his letter to the Galatians. "For you are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus. For as many of you as were baptized into Christ have put on Christ. There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus" (3:26-28). So it doesn't matter what denomination we are a part of, so long as Christ is in us (He unites us) and is being glorified among us. It is all about Him and not about us and our subtle doctrinal differences.

I think I will appreciate more now that our particular church has prayed for the Church most every Sunday, especially mentioning other churches in our city. I need to do this, especially after being with brothers and sisters this weekend who come from different backgrounds, but are about the same work. It is all about Christ. To Him be the glory!

Grace and peace to you.

No comments: