Sunday, July 12, 2009

Rest in the LORD

This weekend, my husband and I celebrated our 10-year anniversary. Throughout the years, we haven't made much effort to get away, especially when children entered the picture. After spending an entire weekend away from our home and children, we realized that this was what our marriage, our relationship needed. The routine of daily life takes a tremendous toll on a relationship, especially if you don't have the time or energy to feed that relationship regularly. We needed uninterrupted time to be together. The LORD used this getaway as fuel for our marriage to remain strong and vibrant.

As believers, the LORD cares about us being refreshed and renewed to continue on in the journey of life. He wants us to remain strong and vibrant followers of Christ, and we can only do that by coming to Him. Unfortunately, I think He is often misinterpreted. He has at times been referred to as the "cosmic killjoy" or likened to a strict judge who enforces unattainable rules. Yet when I read Psalm 23, I am reminded, as I am at other times in Scripture, that God cares about me, and He wants me to rest in His care, and there find renewal and strength for life. Listen to these precious words of David:

The LORD is my shepherd;
I have everything I need.
He lets me rest in green meadows;
He leads me beside peaceful streams.
He renews my strength.
He guides me along right paths,
Bringing honor to His name.
Even when I walk through the dark valley of death,
I will not be afraid, for You are close beside me.
Your rod and Your staff protect and comfort me.
You prepare a feast for me in the presence of my enemies.
You welcome me as a guest, anointing my head with oil.
My cup overflows with blessings.
Surely goodness and unfailing love
Will pursue me all the days of my life,
And I will live in the house of the LORD forever.

I love the language of this Psalm ...
  • He lets me rest in green meadows.
  • He leads me beside peaceful streams.
  • He guides me along right paths.
  • He comforts and protects me.
  • He prepares a feast for me.
  • He welcomes me as a guest.
  • He anoints my head with oil.
  • My cup overflows with blessings.
  • Goodness and unfailing love pursue me always.
  • I will live in His house forever.

God is not a cosmic killjoy and He is not a wicked, ruthless judge. Rather, He is a loving and caring Heavenly Father, and we truly can find all we need in Him. Aren't you grateful? Give thanks for the benefits and blessings of knowing and walking with Him.

Grace and peace to you.

No comments: