Saturday, May 16, 2009

The Hour Is at Hand

A few posts back I shared a letter that I wrote to my grandfather upon hearing of my grandmother's death. She died this past December. In a lot of cases, they say that once the spouse dies, the other soon follows.

This morning my mom called. She has been with my grandfather much in the past six months despite the fact that she lives hundreds of miles away. He has had cancer all over his body and has lost the will to fight - losing his precious wife (she was what he lived for, especially in this last chapter of his life) was perhaps harder on him than the cancer. Nevertheless, my mom called to tell me that this is it. This morning he was in a pre-coma state, and hospice thought he would only be with us one or two more days.

For those who might not know, we don't think that my grandfather has a personal relationship with Jesus. I have requested friends to pray for him, especially in the last six months. Despite the fact that some have talked with him about it, his heart still seems resistant to the Truth. It breaks my heart.

As I've been praying and thinking throughout this day, I was brought back to the fact that the Lord hardened Pharaoh's heart to accomplish His purposes with His people in the land of Egypt. Why He didn't just soften Pharaoh's heart towards the Israelites, I don't know - perhaps to show how great and mighty He is in the face of opposition, but I'm not sure. Well, if God can harden a heart, surely He can soften one too. I am praying that even in a state of a coma, my grandfather would respond to Jesus' invitation for salvation - hope, peace, forever with Him. I know that NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE WITH GOD. NOTHING! I do believe God can do it. Lord, I believe; help my unbelief.

I hope that before his times is up, my grandfather can declare this ...

Behold, this is [my] God;
I have waited for Him, and He will save [me].
This is the Lord;
[I] have waited for Him;
[I] will be glad and rejoice in His salvation.

-Isaiah 25:9

Please pray with me. The hour is at hand.

Grace and peace to you.

No comments: