Wednesday, May 29, 2013

I've Got This!

You never really know what to expect when your feet hit the floor every morning. My morning started at 4 am, heading to the YMCA to teach back-to-back spin classes. It wore me out, but that's good because it reveals to me that I've had a good workout. Had a shower, hit the grocery store, drank a protein shake, and was home by 7:30. All was well. Then I walked in the door. Little Miss Toddler was fussy, fussy, fussy - inconsolable really. Nothing calmed her down. "Okay ... I can handle this!" Our 7-year old chimed in with a little tantrum of her own. It actually made me laugh a little - it CAN get comical. "No problem - I've got this!" Made the hungry crew some breakfast and had just dished out a nice, big bowl for the littlest. Placed it on the table on a placemat, forgetting that the wee one was now climbing chairs and pulling things off the table. Off went the placemat AND the big bowl filled with breakfast - splat, all over the floor with yet another broken dish from our dwindling collection. Deep breath. And then the realization hit: I DON'T have this and I CAN'T handle this! Done in by 8:30 ... ugh!

You know, "done in" is a great place to be. That's right where God wants us. He wants us to see our complete need for Him. And then He wants to empower us with HIS strength to do what it is that HE has called us to.

When Jesus called the first disciples, we read in Matthew 4:19 that he said to Simon and Andrew who were busy with their profession of catching fish, "Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men." What we often forget is that Jesus didn't call us to follow Him and then require us to take care of His business on our own strength. Read it again - "Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men."

So whatever God has called us to do today, He will make us what we need to be. Our task is to follow Him. Bask in His Word and meditate. Lift your heart and mind to Him in prayer. Remember who He is and worship Him. Follow Him - He will lead you through your day. Simple and profound, yet so challenging. Praise the LORD!

1 comment:

Ruthie Denise said...

Thank you. I need to remember this. I need to just let God handle things and he will show me what to do.